Friday, July 15, 2011

Questions about food stamps (snap) application and phone interview?

Because of unfortunate circumstances revolving around being laid off and other unmentionables, my husband and I decided to fill out an application for food stamps. No, we are not proud of this and no, we do not intend to make this long term or abuse the system! Just need to be able to feed ourselves and daughter till I get back on my feet and successfully find employment . Here is my question. After turning in the application, I received in the mail a letter titled Request for Contact. In this letter I am advised to call and schedule a phone interview. Now, on the back of the letter there are several requirements in which I am supposed to provide proof for to be eligible. The Case Manager or whatever the name may be for the person interviewing me only checked off Proof of Income. Now I am worried. Did he only check off that one requirement because we do not stand a chance to be eligible and this determination can be found out with just our income (or what's left of it)? Or is that a good sign that the process will be quick and painless? Also, I have read that there can be deductions made to what income you have to help you qualify. How does this work and how much will be deducted for gas, electric, rent and medical care? Any mature, thoughtful answers will be appreciated. We are really trying to stay afloat during what has become our most difficult time.

No comments:

Post a Comment